wibiya widget

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Are You Sure?

I found this today whilst "googling" myself:
http://boropulse.com/2011/04/red-rose-follow-up/


Usually I google myself out of boredom and get nothing out of it, but today, I'm really glad that I did it.


Especially because this article is partially incorrect in a couple of ways.
The city doesn't demolish a building if it's not up to code. They cite the owners first. The owners have to pay fines. The city isn't going to put money into tearing down a building if it isn't condemned. The Red Rose was never in danger of being demolished.
However, I did personally speak to a contact of one of the owners on the phone. She stated that they would rather sell to someone that would save the building, but that it has become too much of a monetary strain to keep it up to codes when their renters don't pay. It's an old building. Upkeep is extensive and needed on a regular basis. The upkeep is too tedious for the owners. They don't want to have to worry about it anymore.
They will start looking through bids to accept one sometime in the Fall if someone doesn't come up with the funding to buy it and restore it.


If there is a private investor or a way for a group of people to come together to buy the building that would be great. I'm still willing to hold a fundraiser to help restore. If you buy it with the intention of restoring it, please let me know.


It worries me how the 'boro Pulse doesn't even contact the person that they're quoting to get the information correct or to see if there have been any updates. Apparently, they've read my blog, but they don't really follow if they didn't see this article(http://lizkzook.blogspot.com/2011/03/got-600000.html) about me speaking with the owner's wife.


love.love.love


EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I also reached out to Greg Tucker, President of the Rutherford County Historical Society asking if they "might have an interest in this as well."
My reply from Mr. Tucker was: 
"I suggest you talk with Gloria Christy at Shacklett's Photo.  She was recently talking about a use for the old Red Rose building.  GT"
So, obviously, the Rutherford County Historical Society has no interest in the building.


I'm open to ideas if anyone has any.

1 comment:

  1. I would be willing to do whatever I can to help. I have limited financial resources, so I wouldn't be much help there, but I would put in all the manpower I could. I also have many contacts that would be able to do the same.

    Like many others, the Rose is representative of my adolescence, and while I can accept that it may never be the place I remember it being, I could hardly accept it just being gone altogether.

    If you decide to do a fundraiser, or need volunteers for anything please contact me and I will do whatever I can.

    -Daniel Caissie (danieljcaissie@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?