wibiya widget

Friday, March 18, 2011

Red Rose Update


On my husband's way home from work he did me a great favor and stopped by the City of Murfreesboro Building and Codes Department. There he got me copies of the Property Maintenance Inspection Report for The Red Rose Creamery Building.
There is a lot of work to be done. It's actually overwhelming, the work that needs to be done. However, it can actually be done. There is no reason why The Rose can't be fixed.
I will list a few of the things that need to be done:

  • secure building as soon as possible (opening in brick wall not secure)
  • remove all building debris, trash, glass, and refuse
  • exhaust vents were removed in auto body shop and roof was not patched
  • remove all graffiti. prep and coat as needed
  • remove/repair lintel/header at former auto body repair shop
  • repair/replace all decayed/deteriorated mortar using a tuck point procedure - exterior and foundation walls
  • masonry wall: repair, prep and coat areas damaged by graffiti - exterior walls
  • repair/replace all deteriorated soffit, fascia, roof decking and roofing. prep and coat/cover as needed. repair/replace gutter system or remove all gutters and downspouts
  • obtain proper permits and repair signs to good condition
  • repair/replace decayed and deteriorated, loose and missing treads, handrails, and guardrails. prep and coat as needed. repair concrete flooring and seal to prevent additional pop-outs and de-lamination.
  • chimney does not meet minimum standards
  • repair/replace windows and doors to weather-tight and operable condition. prep and coat to prevent continual deterioration.
  • submit inspection report from a tennessee licensed engineer addressing the structural members including temporary shoring, roof framing, columns. make all repairs as required in report and submit final inspection report from engineer approving all repairs.
I know it sounds like a lot of work. And it would be. But a lot of it can be done without any fuss if we get the right kind of people to volunteer. Handymen or anyone willing to put on some gloves and get their hands dirty. I bet we could even get some local hardware stores to donate supplies. Then all we would need is an engineer and an electrician. I know I sound like it's really easy to just pick out an engineer and say, "you. do this." I know it's not. But if we could get that far, it would just be one more step. 


In the reports were copies of the letters sent to the owners of The Rose. I now have their contact information. I will be sending both of them a letter that expresses my interest in helping to keep The Rose alive. It would be a lot more powerful if I already had names of people that wanted to volunteer.

Hopefully, the owners will be glad. Hopefully, they will want to fight for something that is important to the community as a whole.  If not, we will all have to say goodbye.

And really, I don't even know if it's possible, because the improvements were supposed to be made by March 1st. I have contacted the building inspector and asked him if the date could be extended. I'll write more when I get a response. But what if the owners could get an extension? What if we could find the volunteers? If it is possible, though, if you could actually do something about it, wouldn't you want to? Wouldn't you want to stand up together with your community and other people that care about The Rose and do something?

Who is with me? Comment below and let me know what you think!

love.love.love

For more up-to-date information on the Red Rose: http://lizkzook.blogspot.com/2011/05/are-you-sure.html

13 comments:

  1. You are to late with this one. I always thought someone should have put a brew pub in that location. Sad, that someone continues to back all of these new strip mall types of businesses as sites like this just decay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, but you're wrong. The owners have a week to appeal. Another update coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the old man, I live in the Downtown Nashville area and visit Murfreesboro on the odd occasion. I think the point that you are missing is that there is no demand for anything like that in the area. Murfreesboro is a small town that is growing quickly, it is a retail town by all means and it sole intention to the people that live there is to buy buy and buy. You have Big retail franchises and little of anything else. I was surprised that there was no art supply store, no camera/photography store other than big retail chains like Best buy or Hobby Lobby. My point is that in a small town community there is no demand for things like art/shows night clubs etc. You are a mere 30 minute drive from the city, Leave that to us to provide those things and we can rely on you and places to like cool springs to buy a new coat and hat.
    You town is built on fancy shopping centers not decaying buildings, I say demolish it and build a CVS pharmacy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say, you are part of the reasons small towns are going belly up to Wal-marts.
    Besides, no one said it had to be a night club. It could easily be turned into any other type of business. It's the architecture, the history, that's important.
    You, sir, are jaded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My point was not to be offensive and I am the last person you would ever see stepping foot into a wal-mart. My only point is that the city people like myself rely on our surrounding suburbs like Murfreesboro to escape to shop and buy our Tv's, cars, and what not. I love old architecture and my mid rise loft is renovated from a early 1900's building. keeping something that is a piece of history is well worth the time and commitment that you are willing to give. the world really does need more committed people like you. Murfreesboro lacks in urban culture and that is great because it is not a city, but as a result of that your local towns people more than likely want fresh and new buildings to match there fresh and new suburban lifestyle.. So I don't disagree with your doing i just think you are far and few in your area.. Perhaps you need to be in a area where people want old architecture and a urban lifestyle and let the "desperate housewives" community have it's way with another posh retail like belk or kay jewelers..

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't offend me. I just disagree.
    I think even Murfreesboro underestimates itself as a community.
    There are people here that are interested. They want The Red Rose to be saved. They just don't want to do the initial heavy lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your a strong willed individual, I read your blog from time to time. Keep up with it and more than likely you will get some committed help. If not, when the construction crew comes, climb on the roof and sit there refusing to move, You may not save the building but you would make the news..

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have contact with the owner of the building?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sort of:
    http://lizkzook.blogspot.com/2011/03/we-can-save-rose.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. if you can perhaps contact the owner/owners of the building you could see what the status of it is, see if the building is owned and since it's "closed' it's a given that they are not making any money on it. So you could propose a offer to them. They put in a small investment to get it up to codes. Then you agree to rent the building of make them income. More or less of what I mean is, if you divided it up into rooms where artist pay a set amount each month to rent for art space. may $150-$250 a space. you get about 6-8 maybe 10 people depending on how many you can fit and that would easily more than cover your rent. Then on saturday nights you host event shows. you control who gets accepted and who does not. You charge a small fee like $20 per artist and no commission taken, make it cheap for them (your a artist you understand)..then you provide a $2-$5 admission fee and have a small live band. That money is for band and your profit to organize the event.
    Finding people to rent space is easy, getting people to show up is easier, after all you are in a college town.. Then congratulations, you are your towns own art scene..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sent them both letters (I couldn't find phone numbers) proposing a fund raiser that I would organize to raise the money to fix the building. That's as far as I got. I'm happy just to save the building. If I have any part in it after that, I consider myself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz-I'm a reporter with Channel Five and we would like to do a story about the creamery today. can you call me as soon as you get this? Thanks!
    Amanda Hara 336-5388

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have drove past this building on several times dreaming of what it could become. I thought a combination of coffee shop/music venues/poetry readings and etc. Display local art on the walls would be great. This town has a college and a lot of talent. All walks of life would enjoy it. For the most part it could stay entact if possible.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?